Friday, December 08, 2023

The Nikon Refurbished

 Nikon do sell refurbished items, like their flagship items.  But they make no mention of where they come from or imply anything.  They are just under Deals.

I got myself their flagship, a Z9.  I know I won't be happy with anything less.  I took a few blank shots even before I got my CFExpress Type B card.  When I got around and checked the picture, the image number is 69,091 (using Photoshop File info).  So the refurbished camera has more than 69K actuations before getting to me.  The battery certainly looks used as it has quite a bit of rub marks.

So if you buy refurbished from NikonUSA, don't expect you will get "lucky" and got a brand spanking new item with some 1,000s actuations.   Given that it can shoot 120 frames per second, it's not too difficult to rack up big actuation counts.

The Z9 itself looks decent but not new.  Anyway, as NikonUSA makes no explicit or implied newness so I think it's fair or fair enough.  But the 90 days warranty is just bad.  I can't help but think of Apple, its refurbished has the same warranty as brand new.  And in general the Apple refurbished has brand new battery and new casings or so I've heard.  Well camera is a different beast so I can understand.  All my other recent cameras in the last decade were bought used.

From SLR to DSLR to Mirrorless.  I guess it's inevitable.

From CF, SD and XQD and now CFExpress Type B.  I guess it's inevitable.

I can understand why one needs more storage and more computing power.  Things just keep changing and marching on.

I've made no conscious effort to stay or move on to mirrorless.  But my recent drop of the D810 together with the 24-70 f/2.8 kind of gave me the excuse to move forward.  Again you are buying into a system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....