Monday, November 06, 2023

Pocket Wizard and some other decade old stuff

 I got myself four PW FlexTT5 and an AC3.  I simply don't have a clue how the names came about.  So it's mildly intriguing.

The TT5 by comparison is so much more reliable than what I have used up to this point.  The TT5 simply works.  One of them has some corrosion in the battery compartment that was made known to me before the bid.  The seller says it works even with the gunk and corrosion.  So it's all fair.  I cleaned it up with some vinegar and it didn't quite work so I used a pocket knife to scrap the contact a bit.  Voila it works.  I was on a shopping spree so I bought another quantum qflash T2.  It comes with a pocket wizard plus receiver.  I couldn't find any reference on the model, Plus II, III, but not just plus.  Interesting.  So I proceed to engage the learn mode by pressing the TT5 and somehow, then the TT5 can trigger the plus receiver.

I just have that compulsion to buy this old stuff.

UPDATE:

Per usual, I tested them out.

The TT5 can sync up to 1/8000 when the flash units are in full power otherwise normal sync up to 1/250s.  The PLUS unit can sync up to 1/200s but fires at 1/250s with narrow black bar and it won't fire on any speed faster than 1/250s, in essence, the PLUS has no hypersync or high speed sync.  My quantum T2 works pretty flawlessly as I would expect.  I read it has a 150w/s power.  The Sunpak 120J when bareblub has a 115w/s.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....