Friday, October 11, 2019

Free Space macOS style

Sometimes you aren't aware of a problem until it becomes a problem.

Normally I notice my hard drive or OK, SSD space by going to the About This Mac, then Storage.  This is where I am happy when I see lots of free space.  Didn't care about Disk Util until I need to do some more low level job like formatting a new hard drive or a SSD.

Finally I noticed there was a vast difference between what's reported in Storage than what's reported in Disk Util.  What matters to me is Disk Util as when I tried to install Catalina there it complains I don't have enough space.  This is a WTF moment for me.  Disk Storage clearly has enough space while Disk Util is barely not enough.

After much Googling, I found a way, which is kind of counter intuitive, I went ahead and created numerous large files and then deleted them.  I don't quite understand what I was doing but in the end it worked.

From what I understand it has to do with iCloud and optimisation.  So I had to deactivate them when I did the create and delete files trick.

-----

Also, I just also noticed I can't update Xcode, it would download and install and fail in the end.  Again I searched and found out I am not alone on this.  Yet another mystery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....