Friday, October 16, 2015

Viewfinders and other ramblings.

I am old and old school.  I always prefer an optical view finder.  And honestly I think some of it are just being old habit dies hard.  I grew up with optical view finder.  LCD live view in the back of a camera is good but only if on a tripod with enough time to fine tune, zoom in and adjust given that I am farsighted now it's just hard for me to see or read up close.  So maybe an EVF isn't such a bad idea after all.  Except maybe the battery as a whole sucks compared to most of my optical view finder cameras which can keep going and going like more than a 1,000 frames with chimping in between shots.  Part of the full frame allure is in addition to having more sensor real estate and hence likely better quality the viewfinder is just better than those from a DX camera, again, all things being equal.  I also find it oddly liberating and inherently cool to use an add-on optical viewfinder on a hot or cold shoe.  Sometimes it's a leap of faith in composition and focusing but it certainly is fun to use, you just have to free your mind and ignore the fact that you're going to waste a lot of frames or worse film.  I have one of those for my Canon P rangefinder and it certainly was fun to use.  I don't remember the last time I used it, probably five years ago or so.  And the camera still worked flawlessly even not in the best of conditions--I certainly am too cheap to give it any TLA or CLA after I plucked it from eBay.  I was and am still surprised how the camera holds up all these years.  The last time I shot with it I actually developed the negative hands-on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....