Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Movies I saw: The Thing, Collateral, War of the Worlds, Wedding Crashers

I saw The Thing many years ago when I was a student back in Hong Kong. I rented it again via Blockbuster mail rental, which may not be the exact name, but I think it's kind of like the Netflix model anyhow. The movie holds up pretty well, I saw some of the bonus material and was impressed by the matte paintings that eventually turn into the Arctic backdrops.
The other see-again-on-DVD movie was a recent release, Collateral. Cruise plays against type and does deliver. I like the movie, the look, the tempo and the dialogue. I think it's rather underrated, although box office wise, it did make over $100M, but then again, it's Tom Cruise, we wouldn't expect anything less. I also saw his recent release, War of the Worlds. One thing I don't quite get is his jeans. Why would a character like him choose to wear a rather low rise, slightly flair jeans? I think one might even have rivets on the back pockets. I just don't quite get it. I mean it's possible. But I think it would be more 'appropriate' for the character to wear something like Carhartt or some Levi's or Wrangler....
I saw Wedding Crashers in a movie house, it's a Lowe's in Queens, I didn't expect much but I really wouldn't go to that theatre again. I saw 'The Hulk' there, and the film was not even focused. And history does repeats itself. I was in the theater watching not very focused commercials, hoping that the feature would be focused. But hell no, the feature is not focused and the picture is simply sub-par. But the funny thing is nobody seems to mind or notice. Sometimes I rather spend $10.75 to watch a movie in the city, they have better quality control. I watched Batman, and the picture is just top notch. Wedding Crashers doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even in its own manufactured environment. But it sure has its fun moments. My wife and I had a pretty good time albeit the not so focused screen....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....