Thursday, January 17, 2008

Straight Edge

Due to habitual nonchalance and lassitude, I don't shave every day. If I do, I prefer a close razor shave to an electrical one. But if one hasn't shaved for days or weeks, a regular Gillette just won't cut it. I always think a straight edge razor is the ultimate tool to a clean shave. And my old Shanghai barbers have proven just that.

Last evening, out of the blue, sort of I guess, I went to a "beauty" supply shop in seedy Flushing and asked if they carry straight edge razor. And they do. The guy led me to his locked glass cabinet and showed me his wares. He showed me the cheap ones and hinted the $60 one piece solid steel ones are too expensive, like for me? And I ended up taking his hint and bought a cheap one that uses a separate razor. He demonstrated how to split a double edge razor in half and installed one half of the razor to the cheapo straight edge. I never would have thought a razor could be split in the middle and got mounted on a straight edge blade. And the way the inner cut pattern of a safety razor is designed just serves that mounting purpose. Some genius design there.

Around 12 midnight, I tried it. I shaved part of my right cheek and barely not cut myself. My left cheek, not so lucky. I made three bad cuts. Long before I was old enough to shave, I played with my Dad's razor and I shaved a piece of my chin off. Maybe deep down, I wanted to have this bad cut again ....

7 comments:

  1. You looks like David Beckham when you didn't shave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:07 AM

    i dunno how i cannot grow any facial hair. both you and my dad can grow crazy amts of facial hair, but i can't. blessing or curse?

    eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish mine is crazy amount. It's just not. It's neither curse nor blessing.

    Hey, so you are working downtown now, city hall?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:23 PM

    i wish to get a fashionable beard like in chinese period films. it's not fair how i can't grow a beard that grows down my chest.

    i'm due to start on the 11th on water street.

    eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, that's really great news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:02 AM

    do you have any suits suitable for my frame?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I wear size 42, you are more like size 40, you can come and pick a couple if you want.

    If you are going to buy, just stick with navy blue or gray in wool. That way they can be worn anywhere. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....