Friday, March 02, 2018

UNTITLED

How I read the news stays the same--I still use my eyes and corrective lenses, which, over the years, have evolved excitingly with the much anticipated presbyopia and floaters thrown in rather than just the usual ailments like myopia and astigmatism.

In terms of sources, it's the fake news extraordinaire The New York Times alright.  I have autopay setup so they can just take my money and leave me alone.  I pay and I shall receive, it's always the kind of ideal transactional relationship I aim for.  Most other news especially those trending or shared on FB are genuinely fake news and I take them with a grain of salt and regard them as mostly entertainment, loosely speaking.  For Hong Kong news I just go to Ming Pao, which has changed some what.  One thing I find quite interesting or mildly disturbing is they still put entertainment or show biz news under the section called OL section.  Does it stand for office lady?  I feel marginalized.

News deliverance and consumption have changed a great deal.  What used to be daily dead tree publication has changed to round-the-clock breaking news via the screen--this is how people got hyper tension and heart attack.  A suited man reading and doing origami folds with the Times on his morning commute is a rare sight nowadays.  That suited man's position probably got off-shored to India or Poland.  I still have some of my paper delivered but empirically I don't even think the paper is touched let alone being read, it got picked up, idled and then chucked to recycles.  Sad.  Most news are consumed via a myriad of screens.

The only paper that can't be digitized is the toilet paper.  Long live the toilet paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....