Monday, October 15, 2012

Comprehensive Must Read High School Review

At some point in life, one is confronted with the reality that one has to spend four years of one's life in an institution that's called high school.  And to some, even to re-acquaint oneself with it once or twice or a few times later in life.  I didn't go to any high school here in America, my America high school knowledge is mostly hearsay.

Being a somewhat caring and responsible parent, I have decided it's about time to get to know high schools better instead of and in addition to just watching Saved by the Bell, Hollywood, 90210 and 21 Jump Street reruns on TV.

I could preface all the below HS with "This is the high school you want your kids to go to ..." but I guess it goes without saying.

Hunter College High School
If your kids meet their requirements like 690 on ELA and 733 on Math, they will get a letter from the middle school saying that they can take the Hunter's Entrance Exam.  Sometimes, on the number 7 train on my way back home, I see some Hunter HS students, they are usually quite cheerful (for the simple fact that they are going home I guess) and good looking.  The world is just not fair.  Smart and good looking.  Three United States Supreme Court justices went there and so was Cynthia Nixon.

Stuyvesant High School
I was there once many years ago as a guest.  Four Nobel laureates are alumni.  Other notable alumni include Lucy Liu and Tim Robbins.

The Bronx High School of Science
I read quite a bit of HS reviews (that's why I am an expert).  I think this is like the only HS people don't really complain about.  This is a big HS, I say huge.  I went there last year in the evening.  And parking wasn't any easy.  I remember kids playing Chinese yo-yo or diabolo (are they the same?).  If you want your kids to play Chinese yo-yo in a respectable HS, this is the only HS to go to.  The students there are bright and cheerful.

Bard High School Early College Queens
If I am not mistaken, this HS offers a HS education and an associate degree upon graduation in four years.  Do you still have a life?  I know all good HS are rigorous.  But still, this is frightening.  You need to pass their assessment test and then an interview to get in.  I was impressed the time I was there.  Mark, the school student representative and the principal Ms. Thompson did a great job representing and introducing the school.  Ms. Thompson was actually at the elevator bank directing parents to follow her when the kids went to take the exam.  The campus is in a building shared with two other HS and a community college.  By all accounts, it should suck.  But I actually find the campus oddly pleasant perhaps because of its bright decor and open atrium in the middle.  Overall I have a positive vibe.

The Baccalaureate School for Global Education
USNEWS ranks it the number one high school in New York State.  The ranking probably sets it up for disappointment.  During my visit, I was impressed by one and only one thing:  The super tight no photography security.  A parent raised his cell phone, apparently wanted to take a picture of the crowd waiting at the entrance was immediately warned of no photography by the lone security woman at the front desk twenty feet away.  I think the parent thought he was going to die because he just wanted to snap a picture.  Once inside the make-shift auditorium,  I saw the guidance councilor David-Lang talking to a group of parents came prior.  This went on for a good ten minutes while the 2nd group was kept waiting and waiting for his introduction and the slide-show to begin.  Being a New Yorker, I just have no tolerance to this kind of wait, if he's not ready for the second group why letting us in?  There is really little or no campus to speak of, kind of expected but still disappointing.  I got the chance to talk to a history teacher, she was nice and helpful.

Queens High School for the Sciences at York College
It was a rainy evening when I got there so it wasn't the greatest open house experience but the principal and the students made it kind of worth my trip.  The open house ended at the auditorium where the principal and some twenty students gave a Q&A session.  It seems like a good HS.  Again there is little campus to speak of unless you count the shared facilities with York College.  It's expected but still disheartening.

1 comment:

  1. good, you even have choice, in most part of my life, I do not have any choice regarding education

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....