Wednesday, November 18, 2015

PSAM

Everybody takes photographs in his own way.  There is really no right or wrong ways.  Of course, I am just lying.

For most of my cycling shots, I prefer to shoot at 1/1000s or higher; if I can shoot at 1/2000s or 1/3000s, that's even merrier unless of course when I want to pan my shots then a 1/125s would be acceptable or even desirable.

Most of my shots are done with my 80-200 or 70-200 lens.  In terms of f-stop I have no problem using f/2.8 so I can have higher shutter speed and shallow depth of field, not necessarily bokeh for bokeh's sake but to isolate the subject.

I used to shoot almost exclusively in aperture priority(A or Av, not adult video) whether action or non action.  Now I shoot a mix of shutter priority(S or Tv, not television), aperture priority(A) and manual exposure(M).  For the life of me, I could not figure out why someone shoots in program mode all the time.  Unless of course you don't care much about shutter speed or aperture or ISO or their combination.  There are situations when shooting program is kind of acceptable I guess.  Shots you don't care, like shots of family members or friends.  Or shots that shutter speed or aperture or depth of field don't matter.  Or when I shoot fill flash.  Anyway.  Seriously, I can't fathom myself shooting in program mode most of the time.  I can't give up controlling at least one parameter.  I control the aperture and let the camera control the shutter.  I control the shutter and I let the camera control the aperture.  I can't let the camera control every possible parameter even with some idea of where those parameters would be.  Shooting manual gives the most consistent result and sometimes it's really the preferred way assuming the lighting doesn't change the duration you use the same setting from shot to shot.

Of course, it's your camera, your pictures, you shoot however way you desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....