Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Sunpak auto 120J

Every so often, I got myself into some photographic gear obsession.  My latest infatuation is the bare bulb flash from Sunpak from many many years ago.  I got one with a hair line crack which turns out a bit worse than I thought or led to believe on the listing.  Whenever I pivot the head, the casing moves and the crack actually expands.

So I got myself a little project.  I got myself some epoxy.  I could have just applied it on the crack.  But I thought it would be cool and more thorough to disassemble the flash to apply the epoxy.

I know I am not a handy kind of man when it comes, actually everything.  Still I go ahead.  Because I need to desk adventure or maybe I secretly wish I would screw up.  The moment I opened it was the moment I regretted it.  But I never learned.  I applied the epoxy when inhaling the toxic fume and got my fingers glued together.  Next time if there is a next time, I will wear gloves.  I waited for the following day before I put the casing back together.

A picture is worth a thousand words.  So here we go.  A bunch of iPhone pictures.

I only disassembled the base and mostly the top half.  Lucky that there wasn't any electronic part to fix.  But just to open it up and putting it back together is such an ordeal, for me, anyway.

I was pretty much sure I couldn't put it back together.  But lucky me.
















Well I hope the pictures will be of some help to some folks.  I did try to search on service manual or repair manual or any diagram or pictures but to no avail.  I dare not nor do I need to open the head.  So I guess the pictures won't be a lot of help.

Do it any your own risk.  You may get electrocuted by simply opening the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....