Monday, August 17, 2015

Nikon D700 and Sunpak 120J

I am talking about the old Sunpak auto 120J professional, the made in Japan model.

I use a paramount sync cord to connect it to my D700, and it works faultlessly, the flash fires and the camera doesn't get toast because of any high triggering voltage.  On page 383, the manual says not over 250 V applied to the accessory shoe.  I wonder then if the PC terminal is immune to any negative or high voltage.
According to the "internet" the triggering voltage of the 120J ranges from some 10.9V to 24.3V.  If the internet is to be believed, then the triggering voltage of the 120J is very safe for the D700.  My experience with it on the PC sync terminal is definitely positive.  I mean the 120J model I have doesn't even come with any hot or cold shoe at all.

On another note, I have the original Sunpak 3-prong household sync cord, which surprisingly doesn't work well on the D700 as the tip is not long or snug enough to give it a 100% connectivity to the D700 PC terminal.  The paramount cable, on the other hand, works better, or without fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....