Friday, October 02, 2015

FM Radio Trigger

I finally broke down and bought a set of radio trigger/receiver.  This set comes with one trigger and two receivers.

Between feeding your family and buying more photographic gears, sometimes you just have to make the rational choice: buying more but cheaper equipment but never stop buying.

This is a pretty generic trigger set and seems to be branded depending on who is selling them.  If it's sold by cowboy it is called cowboy.  This set I got is branded Neewer and has four different channels which I have no reason not to believe despite not checking each and every channel.  There are similar models that have sixteen channels.  Wow.  The quality isn't great but it isn't bad either.  I need to jiggle the battery trap door more than I like to open and close it.  In the first hour that I used them I managed to drop the receivers twice from the desk top four feet above the floor; it could be the same one or it could be once for each.  Nothing was broken.  So that's good news.  Overall they seem pretty well built or well built enough, no sarcasm.  The mis spelling of "Tigger" is just endearing and somehow assures you that it's honestly made by engineers who couldn't care less about spelling English correctly.

I tested them on my Nikon D700 and Sunpak 120J.  They just worked.  Just for the fun of it.  I also put the trigger on my Yashica Mat 124 G (next my Hasselblad 500C/M).  I used the provided PC sync cord plugged into the PC socket of the Yashica.  And it just worked.  The receiver also has the PC socket so if your flash or strobe doesn't have the hotshoe it would work with the sync cord.  And they certainly work on my Sunpak 120J that doesn't come with the hotshoe.  It's the little thing that warms my heart.  It's the little thing that enables and enchants.  No, you don't need line of sight between the trigger and the receivers for them to talk to one and other.

If you look for fancy features, you should look else where.  This set is only $16.05 shipped free from a warehouse in NJ.  And they just work.

UPDATE:
10/3/2015
Yes, it does work with the Hasselblad 500 C/M camera, with the 80mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss lens PC socket.  People who think you need to have some electrical or electronic camera is mistaken.  The $16.05 can be cheaper than a sync cable actually.  The PC socket totally works.

3 comments:

  1. Now I know why you're busy [and maybe poor].

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. If only I could find just a little hobby that I can indulge myself in . . .

      Delete

ImageMagick

 I don't remember if I installed that via Homebrew or MacPort. I might have installed using MacPort.  But it's kind of messed up as ...