Sunday, December 21, 2014

Lee Jeans and other thoughts

A photo posted by laichungleung (@laichungleung) on
These two jeans bear the same 200-0147 designation and look almost identical.  The newer one seems to have slightly longer belt loops and wider leg openings.  It could be because the newer jeans are not worn nor washed after manufacture, no shrinkage yet.  The faded one has the scovill zipper while the new condition pair has the talon 42 zipper.  I am actually surprised to see a Gap hang tag there.  I witnessed Gap selling Levi's in the late 80s but never Lee.  Apparently at some point in time somewhere a Gap carried Lee jeans 200-0147.

Lee 200-0147 with talon 42 zipper.  Notice the belt loop on the right, it actually looks or is longer.  Is it an anomaly or a genuine design that accommodates the extra thickness of the belt going through the second time?  If so, I can really appreciate the thought goes in there.  It's fascinating.


Is the six belt loops construct better than five?  I am not sure.  Maybe it causes less stress on the belt.  But it somehow lessens if not destroys the symmetry.  Taylor Stitch jeans.  Worn and washed many times.  I don't know what people are thinking when they insist not washing their raw denims.

I like the seven belt loops and the cross bar tacks on the back pockets of Lee jeans.  Most other jeans, except for really big waist size only use five belt loops which in my mine is not optimum but not a deal breaker.  Some jeans even go for six, with the two in the front, two on the hips and two in the back, and none in the middle!  Again, not a deal breaker.  What I find disturbingly appalling is a slanted belt loop in the back, as if it is some real clever design, do they do this so they can sew the loop easier without the folded layers of thick fabric?  I have no idea.  The 200-0147 is not made of selvedge but I like the material, dye and the subsequent fade which is very distinct from Levi's 501.  I can say not all selvedge is the same or good.



No comments:

Post a Comment

ImageMagick

 I don't remember if I installed that via Homebrew or MacPort. I might have installed using MacPort.  But it's kind of messed up as ...